Friday, March 4, 2011

Democratic Reflection

I have been a listener of the syndicated talk-show host Dennis Prager http://www.dennisprager.com for over 6 years and joined a listener group, open-discussion forum a couple years ago.This is another interesting and educational (to me at least) response to the Thomas Sowell article -Is Democracy Viable- http://patriotpost.us/opinion/thomas-sowell/2011/03/01/is-democracy-viable/ from our Prager Group member and friend, Faith. Faith has lived in and is familiar with some of the countries and cultures which are currently in the news. I find her insight interesting and thought you might as well.

from Faith:

I prefer a democratic-republic state. But contrary to my fellow conservatives, I don’t think democracy is realistic in such cultures. Sowell understands this so well. In much of Africa, country boundary lines are arbitrary because true nations are comprised of tribes (ex: the Yoruba tribe covers western Nigeria , where I lived and Benin , the country next door). And within tribes, you have chiefs, clans leaders, princes, whatever – little monarchies. The big infrastructure, nice roads, electricity, etc. is not a priority for many tribes; community life is paramount. Whereas in our culture, in order to achieve wonderful infrastructure, we have to rise above our little tribes/communities (race, religion, what-have-you) and work together toward that goal in a statesman (republican, small r) or democratic way.

Egypt -- maybe thanks to the British Empire , maybe not – learned to rise above their tribes to build their infrastructure. Libya did not – as exemplified by tribal allegiances for or against Ghadaffi. But it seems to me that the tribes in Egypt are more nuanced: the haves versus the have nots, hence the diligence to overthrow the “filthy rich” Mubarak. I have a friend who worked in Cairo, intentionally choosing to live in the slums to reach the forgotten. The description of their living conditions is worse than what you see on TV. News networks wouldn’t dare darken the streets of those slums! Maybe Egyptians are eager for “democracy” (their version) because for now, it’s a “choice” against anything pertaining to Mubarak. Non-coincidentally, I recently read that Mubarak’s wife’s name is Suzanne. Well, that sort of name piqued my curiosity so I Googled her name: her mother is British, father Egyptian. In a strange way, I would say, let them have their own “diversity” in government.

My reflection: I understand the argument the left poses when they say 'America should get out of other cultures business' but it is equally difficult when so much economic ties bind us and we are seeing the immoral destruction of human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment